Monday, February 10, 2014

Siberian Maps

I have been thinking about starting this blog for awhile, just to keep the usual blog for the regular topics, ideas, opinions and the like, and to have an ongoing blog where I - for no particular reason - highlight the work I'm doing in progress.  I have this stupid idea some world creators might find that useful.  So I'm going to get back to work producing some videos, and just keeping track of what I'm doing week to week, or even day to day.

For instance, on the weekend I was relaxing between stabs at the book on reformatting my old publisher maps into new publisher maps.  Here is an old publisher map of the lower Yenisey river, as it appeared before:



And here it is after I ripped that all to shreds and turned it sixty degrees:


There are a bunch of reasons for the reformat. My old 2004 publisher program, which this was designed on, would not draw a fluid curved line, whereas the new program designed in 2009 does ... but - I did a lot of maps after 2004, and did not decide to finally shift to the new program until 2011. So I've been working on one map area at a time. Also, I wanted to change the color scheme. And make my hexes more exactly with 60 degree angles all around (the old hexes are a little flatter than the new ones are). I also finished this on the weekend, which is the map immediately to the west of the Yenisey map:


This one of Biyetia (modern northern Krasnoyarsk Krai in modern day Russia) (*Oops!  No it's not.  It's the Yamalo-Nenets Okrug; the Khasnoyarsk Krai applies to the above Yenisey map) can be compared with the old map on this post, though admittedly I've adjusted what the map portrays since then and done work east of the Yamal Peninsula since those days (you can see from the image on the link that I hadn't in August of 2009. Still, the reader can compare the old color scheme. I never was happy with that Yenisey color scheme, it was too dark and cluttered looking. The same with the old swamplands in Biyetia (which were green, and are now white with dull yellow-brown spots). Basically those swamps are all muskeg anyhow, so brown seems a better color to define them. At any rate, as I improve the Yenisey map, I'll be sure and post it on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abusive comments will be deleted.