Friday, February 14, 2014

Tunguska II

So, I should put up an old picture of what Tunguska had looked like, before changes:

Funny that, formerly, I liked the strong colors ... but since, I've changed my mind about it.  Gets to be hard looking on the eyes.

Here's today's image, after the work done since posting yesterday:

The right half of the map, where it is white, would represent the western edge of Yakutia, or 'Yakutsk' as the RISK board calls it.  This is the border between what I've mapped and what I haven't ... so that much of this map, all that which is right of the hard gray line down the middle, has no work done on it at all except that I've identified with numbers what hexes would be inhabited.  Extending this further eastward is the goal for the next two weeks, so this new blog is going to be awfully boring for most people (I'm not getting much feedback, but I can't blame the reader).  I think in the long run, if I keep this up for several years (which would be the plan), the pile of data will get quite meaningful ... so I'm not worrying right now that all I'm adding are some empty maps of a pretty obscure part of the globe.

For those who really can't picture where this above is (and let's face it, that is virtually everyone), I'll offer these two maps.  First, an image of approximately the same area, gained from Google:



Yeah, no doubt that is TOTALLY not helpful.  Also, the features don't quite match up, but I've said many times, my world is only 'like' earth ... the rivers sometimes have a different shape.  Still, the small lake in the middle is recognizable and so is that bit of the sea at the top of the map.  I didn't include that big pond at the top left, though, because the map I originally worked from (a National Geographic map) didn't show it.  Perhaps its something we know about now, post cold war (I've caught the N.G. being wrong before), or perhaps it's a case of a section of permafrost melting due to global warming (which I've also seen when comparing old and new maps).  Either way, I'm probably not going to add it to my game map.  Or I might.

Perhaps this might help the reader get their bearings:



Is that better?  Can we see where we are now?  Granted, the bigger map shows a lot of 'Tunguska' is in fact west of the map above (in fact, the principal knot of Tunguska is off the above map altogether), but it sounded like a better name than 'West Central Yakutsk.'  Believe me, if you do a lot of maps of a world, you want to stay away from calling everying North That and East This.  After awhile, it gets confusing.  Best to have a code tag for every map (Tunguska is B 06) just to keep everything straight.

Okay, I'm going to let go of this post; I'm going to write a bit more on the main blog, however, so you might want to have a glance at that.

1 comment:

  1. I at least want to throw in my gratitude for these posts, Alexis. I'm working on my incarnations of your world building tools, and this blog is incredibly helpful in seeing the process. Thank you, I'll be along for the whole ride.

    ReplyDelete

Abusive comments will be deleted.