Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First C-Ring Map - Upper Volga

To tell the truth, the book is really getting in the way of my working on my world.  Sigh.  I didn't get to work on the cleric sage table, so there it sits, maddeningly five subjects from completion, while I am pushed and pulled by other things.  But those subjects take mental work, whereas remaking maps is relaxing and more gratifying.

Here and there, starting a week ago, I've been working at the first C-Ring map I'm going to post here.  This is C 04 - Upper Volga, in mid-reconstruction:

Russia between Moscow and the Ural Mountains, which are just slightly off the map to the right.
At the low center, the Oka River (from the southwest) and the Volga River (northwest) join
together at Nizhniy-Novgorod, which would today be called Gorkiy.  Gorkiy's importance
derives from the joining of these two rivers.  The Volga flows east to meet the big Kama
River from the Urals.  

It's actually further along than it looks; I've redrawn the many, many rivers and the rest gets easier.  Some of the details at the top of the map are missing; that is only because they are temporarily behind the hexes, as I am layering things.  The best way I find to do this is to sweep through everything that should be on top and then send that to the back.  Then the same with the next type of thing, and the next, until everything is stacked.  As each new group is sent to the back, it puts the first thing that was sent there further in front.  If that makes any sense.  Anyway, first the titles and text go back, then the cities, then the lakes and coast, then the rivers, the roads, the borders and finally the hexes.

The roads on this map that are in pink still need to be redrawn as red, and the borders that are in orange still need to be redrawn in grey.  Some of the lakes need to be redrawn.  And many of the text has light blue borders that need to be cleared off.  Somehow, this happened when transferring from the old to the new program.  Never has before.  C'est la vie.

The more clever among you will notice that the map is 33 hexes wide, and not my usual 30 (if you're even aware there is a 'usual' number).  You might also wonder why I'm starting with C-04 and not C-01.  This is hard to explain.

Each ring has six square maps that represent the point where the direction of east-west turns 60-degrees (there's an orange line running down the middle of the map for the 30th E, 90th E, 150th E, 150th W, 90th W and 30th W parallels).  For the remaining maps of the ring, east and west is always a straight line.  On the map above, the orange line (which is not a boundary, but is the 30th E parallel) can be seen in the top left corner.  The reader can compare this with other maps I've shown in the B-Ring, such as the Yak'Margug Map or the Tunguska Map.  Note how the orange line is always in the same place on either of those maps as it is on the map above.

Now look at the Lofoten Map of north Norway, or the Ob Gulf Map.  Note how there's an orange line, again, but it is through the two corner hexes on the upper right.  This is consistent all around the B-Ring, so that there is a turning map (B-02), then two straight maps (B-03, B-04), then a turning map (B-05), etc., until all 18 maps circle the earth.

I wish to do the same with the C-Ring maps, but while I know that there should be three maps between the turning maps, I'm not precisely certain how many hexes there should be to create those three maps.  The distance is (I think) 94 hexes.  Add that each map overlaps two hexes, and that means that the straight maps should have at least 33 hexes each.  Anyway, the best way to tell is to draw those maps and prove it.

This is all crazy map-making shit that can't possibly interest anyone except crazy, map-making people, but anyway it is all carefully constructed.  C-04 is the first of three straight east-west maps, so once I know that it, C-05 and C-6 are exactly the right dimensions, then I can work out C-01 through C-03.  I used to just make ALL the maps 30 hexes wide, but that was creating problems at the turns, and I knew I'd have to adjust for that.  Anyway, it's just a game, right?  Certainly it's nothing that challenges my brain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Abusive comments will be deleted.